A report by the Ports Monitoring Officer of NCC, Mr. Joe Ojika, stated that acting on intelligence and surveillance reports, the container was intercepted by operatives of the Commission in collaboration with the Nigerian Customs Service; the Nigeria Police; the Nigerian Publishers Association; the Bible Society of Nigeria and the Christian Booksellers Association of Nigeria, on June 13, 2014. According to the report the container was stacked with several cartons of various foreign and Nigerian published books including:
- New Longman Pocket English Dictionary by Longman and Pearson
- The Ultimate Who’s who in the Bible by David Mandel
- Hymns Ancient &Modern Revised by William Clowes & Sons Ltd
- Littafin Wakoki Hausa Hymn Book
- Your Best life Now by Joel Osteen by Hachette Book Group USA
- The 80/20 Principle by Richard Koch by Doubleday Publishing group
- Aging without growing old by Judy Lingberg McFarland
It added that investigation is ongoing to unmask the identity of the importer for prosecution.
It would be recalled that on March 24, 2014, a 60 feet container stacked with 1200 cartons of literary works totalling 60,000 copies of various foreign and Nigerian published books estimated at Sixty Million Naira (N60, 000,000.00) was impounded by the Commission in collaboration with Nigeria Customs Service.
The recent seizure brings to 19 the total number of containers of suspected pirated copyright works impounded so far.
For: Director General